Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Another year



My New Year's Eve was interesting to say the least. I'm not sure what I expected. The past few years I have worked, since everyone knows there is no better night for a bartender to make major bank. Since I have a "real" job this year, I had the night off and decided to spend it with my new girlfriend from work. Yes, this is the girl I've been talking about with the cheating boyfriend. She has since discovered, not only is he a cheater, but really a plain psychopath. It has all turned into a Lifetime drama...He was basically carrying on with a triple life, having relationships with three different women. With the schedule of a homicide detective, (yes he really is) it was very easy for him to lie about his where abouts. Since her life is a tornado and she was alone, husband dropped me off at her house for a girlsnight out to ring in the new year.

We arrived at the bar just minitues before midnight and were able to cheers with a shot of Stoli O and a hug with promises of a great friendship to come. Looking around I was still very unsure of this new town "scene", but I sipped my cocktail and prepared to be a good sport. We ventured home at 2am, and I thanked my lucky stars for the husband I had at home, after a night of talking to blubbering idiots. We were pretty drunk when we got back to her house, and she proceeded to drunk dial everyone in her phone, and every number she could find on scrap paper around the house. After about an hour of this, I yelled at her and told her to drop the damn phone or I was finding a way home. She hung up and with a quivering lip burst into tears. The guilt of my insensitivity set in, and I made her sit next to me on the couch. I held her and rubbed her head for hours, assuring her everything would be ok. All of which would have been very awkward had we not been extremely buzzed. We fell asleep at who knows what hour, but at least there was silence.

I awoke sometime around 10am, with a spinning headache and a drooling boxer panting in my face. I looked over to see my friend still asleep, so I dragged my ass out of bed to take the dog out. Once again feeling how weird this is to be taking care of someone I hardly know. I stayed at her house, assuring her my night was great, and not to worry about the drama. Husband picked me up in the early evening, after work and I thanked him greatly for being the sane part of my life.

I have been thinking about this whole New Year's resolution thing...I mean, we make them...but we don't really stick to them. I guess I have a few I would like to try

1. when other people are making decisions for themselves, not to be critical and give unsolicited advice. People need to make their own mistakes to learn from them.

2. Find inner peace. Not be so critical of myself, stop feeling as though I should be doing more.

3. Get over feeling as though I am nothing unless everyone else in the world can see it. Lack of attention as a child has made me want to overcompensate as an adult...Hence wanting to be the famous actress...someone that other people love and respect.

4. I have many small passions, things I love to do..but I would like to find one that I could someday make a living at.

I hope you all had a great New Years'.


Oh I received a Buddha calender for Christmas with daily teachings...so Buddha lesson of the day is:

"On the day you were born, you begin to die. Do not waste a single moment more."
- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

7 Comments:

Blogger Hollie Nell said...

Happy New Year's to you! Sounds like quite an eventful night. Even though I thought I'd hung up my cocktail apron when I moved to LA, old habits die hard. I rang it in serving drunks but like you said, it was definitely a night to bank. It's nice that your friend has someone to help deal with the drama. But even nicer that there's a drama free zone at home.

Just a suggestion as for your posting. I think you have a definite knack for writing and a way that appeals to the masses. Not to mention life experience that is diverse and exciting. Start coming up with ideas maybe for magazines or online websites besides your blog. It's not great money to start but it could someday be your full time gig. Have a great new year and I look forward to reading about your adventures.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

City -I guess some guys are just pigs. I went through that stage in my late teens. Man you're right, it take some fancy footwork to juggle all of the lies. I'm glad i'm not that way anymore. I sleep easier.

Glad you had fun, hopefully you were hurting too bad the next day.

Btw, I love that quote at the end. :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

What a good friend you are! I don't think I know too many people that would have given up their New Year evening to do what you did.
The drunk dialing would have driven me away, so I'm glad to hear you stood your ground on that one.
Your husband has a real gem in you!

Love your quote at the end as well... it makes you re-think your daily grind. Your resolutions are not bad either!

5:34 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Happy New Year CS! Sounds like you have your resolutions in check and starting off the year as a wonderful new friend! Much love, light and laughter to you in '06!

alannajoy

9:04 PM  
Blogger Wiwille said...

Happy New Year. Sounds like yours was full of all sorts of drama, but you did the right thing. Hopefully the girl will learn something from it, but it doesn't sound like she will.

Finding inner peace is always a good resolution, but difficult when so many negative conflicts surround one's self.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Some Random Girl said...

You are a sweet gal. I think you two are bonding and you will now be best pals. EVeryone needs someone to take care of them when they are drunk and sobbing. I remember being your friend. Tell her to hang on....it seems dreary now but would she really want him anyway? Cops are notorious for cheating...fucker. I feel bad for her. A good guy is hard to find....making yours worth that much more huh?

I hope that you have a great new year!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Nice Buddha quote! Depressing - but true!

Sorry your NYE was exactly "happy". It kinda sucks when someone else's depression makes you feel better about your life, doesn't it? She's lucky to have someone like you in her life. Just imagine what kind of night she would have had - if you weren't there to help her through it. God Love Ya! XO

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home