Thursday, October 20, 2005

Peanuts anyone?


This Saturday morning I'm taking a road trip. My sister, mother and I are driving from CT to Georgia to see my grandparents. They are good old fashioned southern people. As I said before, they live in a peanut field....ok, well not in it, but it's behind their house. Nashville, GA is the name of the town....and when I say country...I mean country. My cell phone doesn't even work there. The nearest stores...which consist of super walmart, super kmart...and all kinds of super marts...are a good 45 min. away. It's such a small town that last time I took a trip there the local newspaper wanted to write an article on me!....a "celebrity" in Nashville. If I'm the closest thing to a celebrity they've seen....oh no. It really is so different it's almost another world. Not in a bad way though at all. My Granny can make home cooking like no other! Everything may be fried...but damn...it's good! The people in the town are nicer than any I've ever met....and I think my Papa knows them all. It's a long drive...and an interesting vacation, but when you leave you have such a "sense" of family values...and a new appreciation for the simple things in life. I think it's a good time for me to go. Sometimes we need to be reminded that life is too short to let the little things pass us by.

16 Comments:

Blogger highcontrast said...

Make sure you bring yourself back some peanuts!
What you describe sounds like the town where my current client is - except I don't have granny and gramps to fry me up anything out here.
Have fun!!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Oh...that good Southern cookin'. But since you can eat anything, you have nothing to worry about it. I'd cuss you right now, but I can't. ;o) Anyway, I know you'll probably pass through KY on the way. So give me a shout-out. And most of all, have a safe trip.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

P.S. AWESOME picture!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Just ME said...

Enjoy some fried foods, since you can w/o guilt lucky lady. Also, fantastic picture.

3:05 PM  
Blogger cityman05 said...

Sounds like my town.
I live in a very small southern town in Arkansas. It's like Mayberry or something. I like it, though.

That is a cool pic.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

thanks yall'...ok I'm practicing...need my accent back...yeah that pic is a sunset in granny's backyard/peanut field...and I do like boiled peanuts.

7:20 PM  
Blogger animus said...

YOU are beautiful (again. and again)

don't let the BIG things pass you by

9:44 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Beautiful sky! I LUV those colors. They blend so nice.

Please take pix of the peanut field, I've never seen one. It sounds like fun. I would love to run around in that. hahaha. Have fun!

10:40 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Ooh! I've never seen a peanut field...such a dumb q but are there trees or bushes or what? Pics would rock! I just recently tried boiled peanuts for the first time, and I love them! I new found treat! Enjoy being with your family, sounds cozy and relaxing..
alannajoy

11:28 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

City - Anybody ask you for your autograph? ;)

12:02 AM  
Blogger CandyGirl said...

Hey there city... Hope you enjoy your trip. count me in on never seeing a peanut farm. The Lord knows i need a vacation but instead... i'll enjoy reading about yours. Keep us updated.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

I did take the picture last time I was there...they have the most amazing sunsets.
and the peanuts behind their house grow up bushes...not a stupid question, I wouldn't know if I hadn't seen it.

9:51 AM  
Blogger mani said...

Hi citysoul, I am Maurizio, write from Italy, have seen yours blog as soon as modernized and try hour to write to you. Congratulation for yours blog, is very nice and excume for my language but I do not write very well in English. Bye

10:52 AM  
Blogger brandon said...

Nice blog, you really have an eye for photography, that picture is beautiful. Have fun in Georgia, my family is from TN, and I know exactly what you are talking about. It's nice to go back to simpler living sometimes.

B

12:44 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Hey there,

Where in Jacksonville?

I turn 27 Sunday. Not excited.

2:47 PM  
Blogger cityman05 said...

Hey, would you believe that a lady gave me a free bag of boiled peanuts today?
My wife and I stopped at a roadside stand to buy some mums and I commented that the peanuts smelled good. She was like, "Really? I hate boiled peanuts, but we have to make them."
When I turned to leave she came after me and said, "Here, hon."
I was touched.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home