Thursday, October 13, 2005

Another day in Suburbia and there's nothing on t.v.

I really miss NY. I knew this was going to happen...the stages of grief...I knew I was going to have them all... I was in denial for the first few days, "yeah, this is great...no problem...I won't even notice I'm in a completely different environment...Besides, I'll be so busy unpacking these 1200 boxes, I won't have time to miss NY." There are no more boxes...Nothing else to decorate, nothing else to clean, and I'm driving my husband crazy with the vacuum. Then there was anger..."Stupid husband, why did you have to get a damn good job...Stupid ass." That didn't go over too well. I bargained for a day or two..."Ok, we'll try it out for a few months...I can make some crafts or something, sell them on eBay, and make enough to keep an apartment in NY also!." Yeah right! Then last night I realized I'd reached depression. I love watching documentaries of all kinds, HBO on demand always has plenty ( hookers of vegas, prisoners of rikers). Very educational. I was watching, "Methadonia: America Undercover- A look at the flaws of legal methadone treatments for heroin addiction through case studies of several New York City addicts." All I could focus on was these people living in the city... NYC in every shot...every corner....every AA meeting. I had to turn it off...It actually made me sad...seeing the place I left behind...in all of it's guts and glory. I knew this was going to take time...more than two weeks. Hopefully acceptance isn't too far off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jinsane said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you are in the pits of hell, but there's only one place to go from there, and that's up baby! ;o)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

I know I always feel down when the weather is bad. Maybe once that rain, I've been hearing about, dies down and the sun comes out, things will be a little brighter!

1:42 PM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

haaaaa. you're watching a documentary about heroin addicts and the nyc shots was what made you depressed! i love it.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I know exactly how you feel and went through the same withdrawal symptoms when I moved to the south.
I am a New England girl (born in CT, vacationed on Cape Cod and lived in NH), and culture shock was indeed the name of the game. I've been here for 21 years, and have come to love it, even though I miss my roots from time to time.
(Especially in the summer when it's hot as the gates of hell down here).
Give it all the time you need, everything else will fall into place... you'll see.
Best of luck!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home