Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Just another morning


She arose early, pushing the matted hair away from her slowly opening sleep encrusted eyes. She looked at the bright sunlight shining between the closed red velvet curtains. The fog slowly drifted from her mind...and she realized where she was. A slight pang of nostalgic memories swiftly bounded through her head. She pulled the blankets high over her and let the warmth envelop and enclose her senses.

The smell of the bold brewing coffee brought forth another unwelcome awakening from her dreams of another time. She reluctantly threw her brick heavy feet over the side of the bed and trudged to the kitchen. With a steaming cup of caffeine settled between her chilled fingers she fell into the cushy sofa to watch the early morning news. She rapidly changed the channels viewing show after show of the city she left behind. She laughed at herself thinking how ridiculous for a person to feel so addicted to a place. She wondered what it was she couldn't let go of...the place she actually left?...or was it the person she was, that she really left behind?


Her husband gathered his belongings for work and glanced over to look at his wife intently focused on the television. Her eyes were far away absorbed with some other place. He walked over, bending to kiss her good-bye on the top of her head. His dark blue eyes met hers and whispered, "everything will be OK...it always takes time." He gave her an encouraging smile and left for a demanding and different day. He also had to find his way in this new life they had chosen.

She pushed open the heavy sliding glass door to feel the unusually warm weather pour into the living room and surround her with the smells of Fall. The rocky brook down below rushed with the sounds of determination and a purpose. She looked down to see a small squirrel near the cement patio attentively digging to bury his acorn for what must be the cold winter ahead. She took a deep breath and swallowed the lump in her throat to the hollow pit encompassing her stomach.


She thought earnestly of the many things she had to be grateful for. The sun shifted to a new position in the morning sky and radiated a warm ray across her face. She recognized one of the hardest parts of life is to discover who we are and how we fit into this world.


She returned inside leaving the door open to continue enjoying what must be the last of the warm weather for the season. She sat back in the black leather chair at her computer to write. It gave her a feeling of relief to see the thoughts from her head move to the screen....
....." She arose early, pushing the matted hair away from her slowly opening sleep encrusted eyes."

16 Comments:

Blogger highcontrast said...

wow, this was great! i felt like i was right there, and almost missed the city myself!
this is an interesting thought:
"She wondered what it was she couldn't let go of...the place she actually left?...or was it the person she was, that she really left behind?"
any conclusions???

11:27 AM  
Blogger Some Random Girl said...

AWESOME! I loved the way you described everything! Very nice!
Change is a hard thing for all of us. Whether it's leaving a person behind or leaving ourselves behind. How insightful that you have started wondering about the difference. What's the soundtrack to the movie of your life?

12:57 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

How difficult it is to let go of the "known" and venture to a world that is so foreign in geography and demographics. It's not that you are learning just one new thing, you now have to learn everything all over again... the best places to go, eat, shop, see... and the list goes on.
I went through many withdrawal symptoms in the first year I lived in ATL. So many times I wanted to come crying home to my family and the familiar landscapes. But something always came up, the months turned into years, and life happened while I was busy making other plans.
Hang in and remember, you have only left a city behind... you have brought your "home" and yourself with you and those are two of the most important elements that anyone can possess. Now you need to have a little talk with your heart to make sure it's on the same page... and that will come in time. Your supportive husband will be there to pat your head and reassure you, he sees your pain.
Sending smiles, best wishes and prayers that it will all come together for you... and knowing in my heart that it will!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Damn Girl...are you trying to make me even sadder? Just kidding. I was really moved by your post. You should write like this more often...you have a gift.

P.S. I love the pic. I'm an avid photography nut. The lighting was perfect.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Neo said...

City - Poetry. Nice.

:)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You miss your old home, your old life it seems.
I hope you get settled where you are now, and that life there will soon seem like "home."
We moved out of state in mid-July from CA, and will be here only until next summer. You feel like a fish out of water for awhile, but I love it. I look forward to new things, people, places, etc....
I hope that soon you will feel perfectly comfortable in your new home and city.
Lovely post.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Wiwille said...

Well written. Not only was the prose good, but I like how it came full circle.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked it...sometimes I enjoy "writing" more than just journaling.

Highcontrast: I think it's a bit of both, but I believe it's more of the person I felt I was there.

Ellen jay: thanks girl xoxo

Jules: I have many...sometimes my life plays as a movie through my mind...thats why I write like that, but I'm not sure what song was playing for this scene, great question though.

Ellen:thank you so much, your kind words and understanding make me feel more "normal".

Jags: I love those lyrics! great song, and no your post is not too long, I'm leavin it up!

Jen: thanks! I love photography also.

Neo: thank you!

Jamie Dawn: yes, it will take time, some days are more comfortable than others, thank you

wiwillie: thank you. when I write I always like the ending to somehow connect with the way it started...and thats exactly how it really played out.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Just ME said...

That was great. I really got absorbed into it. Change is always difficult, whether we prompted it or not.

3:39 PM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

likin' the city pic....

6:20 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

thanks...I can do a little with photoshop and had a some time on my hands today...my bro is a computer wiz and put it up for me.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

I love the new look at the top of your blog.... it's the country city look... so diverse and says so much. Well done!

9:37 PM  
Blogger brandon said...

You are quite the writer, you definitely have a gift.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yes nice banner-

and how mysterious... hmmmm

surely "she" can take a train into the city... or can't she??

i'm feeling a bit of mystery definitely!

11:20 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

First off: This was wonderful CS...I'm not sure if you've ever written like this on your site before, but I will say that I hope you do it more often...Looks like CS has a gift we have only just discovered. I was moved, felt like I was right in the moment with you. You offered a feeling of longing, yet not exactly sadness or regret, speaking more about adjustment for the both of u. Just perfect!

Secondly: Diggin' the new banner girl! Nice touch...
alannajoy

11:29 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

thanks everyone, glad you like the banner and the post. sometimes I like to "write"...others I just like to talk about nothing...they both feel good

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home